Do you want to stay healthy and resilient throughout the cold and flu season? Are you tired of getting sick and missing work, school, or important life events every time a family member or co-worker catches the cold? Then, you want to stock up your pantry and fridge with this powerful plant ally. Sambucus nigra commonly known as Elderberry is a wonderful plant medicine to help strengthen your immune system even if you do end up with a cold or flu. It helps your body fight bacteria and viruses quickly and effectively! Packed with vitamins A, C, antioxidants and minerals, this herb can help you combat nasty infections. Whether taken as a syrup, tea or tincture, it can help soothe all your mucus membranes in your nose and throat while stimulating your sweat glands to help eliminate toxins through your skin. Below, is our favourite secret recipe for making this powerful plant into a delicious and healthy treat that you can enjoy throughout the colder seasons to boost your immunity.
Elderberry Syrup Recipe
3/4 dried or 1 1/3 cups fresh or frozen elderberries
3 cups water
1 tsp dried cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
1/4 tsp dried clove or 1 whole clove
1 TBSP fresh ginger or 1 tsp dried ginger
1 cup raw honey
1. In a large pot, bring the elderberries, water, cinnamon, cloves and ginger to a boil
2. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer, until the liquid has reduced by half. It takes roughly 40-45 minutes
3. Allow the liquid to cool, and then drain the liquid using a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth
4. Press all liquid out of the berries using the back of a wooden spoon
5. Let the liquid cool down to lukewarm
6. Add the raw honey and mix well
7. Store in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for up to two months
Instant Pot Instructions:
Put all ingredients except honey in the Instant Pot, seal the lid, and set manually for 9 minutes on high pressure. Once the time is up, release the pressure and strain the liquid and follow steps 3-7 listed above.
Adults can take 1/2-1TBSP daily, and children can take 1/2-1tsp daily to strengthen their immune systems and protect them against colds and flu.
Phone Reception Hours
Mon - Fri 8:30am - 5:00pm
Clinic Appointment Hrs:
Tues - Friday 9:30am - 6:30pm
Outreach Clinic Hours
Fri 10:00am - 2:00pm
We are Licensed or Registered with:
© 2017 Butterfly Naturopathic All rights reserved.
Butterfly Naturopathic is a Health Professions Corporation providing Naturopathic Medical Services in accordance with the CNPBC.